SPIRITED - MTUTD battle to earn the away match point

SCG Muangthong United drew 1-1 with Ratchaburi Mitr Phol in Thai League Matchday 10, at the Mitr Phol Stadium.

The opening minutes signalled this was not going to be an easy match for the Kirin as Ratachaburi came out fast, with two shots towards the net, and two corner kicks, within the first 5 minutes. The Dragons were to have the better chances at goal during the first half, including a strike off a corner kick that sailed over the bar from prime position. SCG Muangthong United were able to gain control of the ball as the half progressed. Chanathip had several breaks towards goal, but there were too many orange shirts in the box to allow his pass to make it through. Likewise Tristan Do tried to go around the defense on the right side, but was unable to find room for the attempt at net. As the half ended it was the Kirin who were to have the last strike at goal.

Two half time substitutions for the Kirin signalled the need to try and gain a better foothold in the match. Xisco Jiminez came as despite struggling with an injury, and Adisorn Kraisak took up a right back position allowing Tristan Do to play further forward. Ratchapol and Mongkol were the players subbed out.

The change looked promising as Xisco was able to hammer a shot at the goal soon into the half, but right at the Dragon's keeper. Soon after Ratchaburi's Yai Niwong hit a blast from outside the box, but wide of the target.

At the 60th minute Chanathip was fed a pass by Teerasil that allowed him to be advancing unchallenged towards the goal, but his touch let the ball move too far in front and the keeper was out for the clearance. A few moments later a free kick lofted into the box was headed off the crossbar, and the Kirin had clearly increased the pressure.

Ratchabrui's head coach subbed in Essombe, the Cameroon forward, at the 65th minute hoping to change the flow of the game back in the Dragon's favour. The move seemed to help as Ratchaburi presssed, and a good save by Kawin was needed a few moments later.

A huge chance presented itself for Ratchaburi a the 81st minute, when Chutipol Thongthae was slipped a pass and was in one-on-one with Kawin, but the chip was a tad high and into the top netting. It was a costly miss, as the Kirin were to follow it up with a goal.

A foul on Tristan Do set up a free kick out to the right of the 18 yard box. With plenty of jostling in front of the goal the referee needed to settle things down, allowing plenty of time for Theerathon to study the situation. His free kick was high and curled towards the far post, striking it and continuing in.

Ratchaburi were able to bounce right bacK, however, and make up for the earlier miss. Essombe from close in was able to deflect a shot past Kawin. It was a disappointing moment as the Kirin were clearly the stronger team in the second half.

SCG Muangthong United however will now focus their attention on the AFC Champions League match next Wednesday April 26th. Brisbane Roar will visit Muangthong United in the second leg fixture, a 7:30 PM kick off.


© Muangthong United &

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • periscope