TOP TWO TANGLE!! - The top two battle to a draw in exciting showdown

SCG Muangthong United and Bangkok United play to a 3-3 draw in front of 11,666 excited spectators at the Thammasat Rangsit University Stadium.

MTUTD Fans were relieved to see Naoaki Aoyama and Mario Abrante return from injury to their centre back roles, just in time for this important match. The Kirin were without Tristan Do due to a red card ban, and Adisorn took on the right back role, while Teerathon filled out the defense at left back. Likewise, Chanathip was at full strength, and he was to have an important impact early on.

Bangkok United were to find the net quickly when Nigerian forward Jaycee Okwunwanne headed in a cross at only the eighth minute, though it was SCG Muangthong United who had the better share of the ball from the opening minutes. Yet Muangthong were not able to get near the Bangkok United net for the first twenty minutes, unable to find a path through the defenders. Several midfield passes also did not find their targets.

Mario Abrante, back from injury, ran the ball forward on several occasions, but his long balls out to the left for Cleiton were off target. Several midfield passes also did not find their targets, causing the defence to scramble on the turn overs.

At 18 minutes some pressure from Chanathip, however, resulted in a steal and break away, but his shot was driven at the keeper. Adisak was there for the rebound, but his shot too hit the keeper and went wide.

Chanathip’s work effort was rewarded a few minutes later however when he took the ball from behind his own half line. With plenty of open space he built up speed as he charged forward. At the edge of the box a beautiful little move got himself free of the tracking defender, and he hammered a low shot past Kittipong for the goal.

SCG Muangthong United’s second goal, shortly before half time, came about due to the pressure put on the ball in the centre of the pitch. A turn over led to run on goal from Adisak Kraisorn who chipped in the shot past the keeper.

Bangkok United start the second half strong and within just a few minutes hit one off the crossbar. Kawin was shortly forced into a good stop after Bangkok United took a quick free kick that opened up Jaycee one-on-one.

The renewed intensity of Bangkok United led to their equalizing goal at 62 minutes. The goal came about when Dragan Boskovic was allowed too much time with the ball from the edge of the box, allowing him to hit a hard drive into the far side of the net.

SCG Muangthong United responded quickly, however, with Adisak Kraisorn getting his second goal at 68 minutes following a nice set up from Chanathip.

With the Kirin leading 3-2, however, Bangkok United were not able to sit back. A goal mouth scramble following a corner led to the equaliser at 78 minutes.

It was SCG Muangthong United who continued to press in the dying moments of the match, and in the last minute almost had the go ahead when the free kick into the box was headed just over the net.

SCG Muangthong United only have a two day rest as they are to play Pattaya NNK United Wednesday July 13 in an FA Cup match. Then the Kirin are at home next Saturday, welcoming Raj Navy FC.

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© Muangthong United &

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • periscope