SCG Muangthong United lost 4-3 in the first match of their ASEAN TOUR 2016, played at the Olympic Stadium in Phnom Penh.

STARTING X11 - Kawin, Piyaphon, Artit, Seksit, Chananana, Kasidech, Sarawut, Chaiyawat, Suporn, Teerasil Dangda, Sarach Yuyen

The friendly game, refereed by officials from Vietnam, between SCG Muangthong United and K-Cement All Stars of Cambodia, was well attended by over 46,000 fans, and marked the first time in history of a match of this sort.

For the first 20 minutes of the match SCG Muangthong United were clearly the dominant team, keeping possession of the ball. The first goal almost came at the 15th minute when Kasidech hammered one in to the side netting, Yet K-Cement All Stars had good pace on the counter attack, and Chan Vathanaka responded with a similar close in shot that was off the crossbar.

Yet Chaiyawat, playing in his first ever match for Muangthong United, opened the scoring at the 20th minute with a low hard shot that bounced off the artifical turf just before the keeper, and was under his hands and into the net. The 20 year old Chaiyawat played last season in Thai Division I for Pattaya United.

It was just a few minutes later when Kasidech added the second goal for Muangthong United, another long shot that was difficult for the keeper to handle.

K-Cement All Stars definitely had their chances to score in the first half, with the best opportunity coming at the 42nd minute when Kouch Sokumpheak hit one over the bar after the clearance fell to him and there was lots of time to line up the shot. Finally the goal they had been missing came at the 45th minute when Booysen Shane scored after a nice move to elude the Muangthong right back.

K-CEMENT All Stars showed their determination to not lose this match with a quick goal to equalise just a few minutes into the second half. The huge number of fans, that kept growing as the game progressed, were in for a thriller and the atmosphere at the Olympic Stadium reached new heights of excitement.

Muangthong were to have the better possession, however when the All-Stars went 3-2 ahead at the 73rd minute the threat of their counter attack was apparent. The Muangthong left back allowed the pass across the centre to an open attacker, and after Wisanusak (Kawin subbed out at half time) made the initial block, the ball came back out for an easy open net goal.

Just two minutes later the K-CEMENT ALL STARS went ahead 4-2, once again the initial effort was blocked but the rebound found its way to the foot of K-CEMENT All Star attacker. Then, at the 78th minute Sarach Yuyen scored Muangthong’s 3rd goal to close the gap with a tap into the net from close range.

After 3 goals in a 5 minute time span the 46,000 Cambodian fans were on their feet for the remainder of the match hoping K-Cement would hold onto their lead as Muangthong continued to dominate possession and press for the equaliser. A free kick was blocked in the box at the 88th minute, taken from 35 yards by specialist Datsakorn Thonglao who had subbed in for Sarach Yuyen.

With less than a minute to go Artit Daosawng almost had the equaliser, however his shot was over the bar. The historic match came to an end with K-CEMENT All Stars having won 4-3, and the crowd chanting “CAMBODIA”


5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© Muangthong United &

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • periscope