NOV. 2, 2014

Muangthong United finished their 2014 season ready to close the chapter and ready to overcome challenges. The 2-3 loss was essentially achieved in the first 15 minutes, when the Muanghtong defense seemed disorgainzed and two quick goals were allowed. In the seventh minute, Bangkok United's leading goal scorer, Frenchman Romain Gasmi, scored from close in. Just another seven minutes later, Bangkok United added a second goal when Muangthong had been playing a very high line hoping for the offside trap, however it allowed two players to have a run on goal and Milos Bogunovic scored an easy second for Bangkok United.

Despite the two goals early on Muangthong United had more chances and the better share of the ball through most of the first half. As the half progressed Muangthong were applying more pressure, and at the 35th minute Piyaphon sent in a perfect ball that Cleiton Silva was able to run on to and head solidly into the net.

Shortly after the rain began again and the play became sloppy as the players adjusted. The first half ended with Bangkok United winning two successive corner kicks in the dwinding minutes. Muangthong's keeper Kawin, however, snatched the second one out of the air.

The second half saw the scrapply play continue, and both teams had chances. At the 53rd minute Muangthong's captain Datsakorn had a free kick opportunity that he hit into the wall. The counter attack was swift but Bangkok United were offside. Bangkok United were able to press, and looked the better team for a short period. A key save by Kawin kept the lead to only one goal.The wet surface, perhaps, led to several collisons and sloppy tackles, and the referee's whistle had a workout.

Muangthong United started to gain better possession of the ball and at the 60th minute a corner ball in was headed by PIyapon over the bar though the net was empty in front of him. A few moments later Milan was sent a through ball that he ws just a step or two behind connecting with. The scrappy game play continued and players were becoming argumentative with the referee's calls.

Muangthong looked to have the equalizer at the 75th minute when a header from Silva forced the Bangkok United keeper to scamper back for the ball, appearing to carry the ball into the net. A minute later the Muangthong goal came, however, when Datsakorn Thonglo arced in a free kick from way out near the corner flag. It flew over everyone's heads but dropped near the far poat where Milan Bubalo hit a first time strike into the net. The score was now 2-2.

The yellow cards were coming out frequently, and there were plenty of scrappy moments between players on and off the ball. Bangkok United were able to use the moment to score a third goal after a header clearance went to the foot of a Bangkok United forward. Kawin got his hand on the shot but it was not enough to force the ball wide. Muangthong United did not give up, however time ran out their season eneded with a 2-3 loss to local rivals Bangkok United.


6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© Muangthong United &

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • periscope